Make your own : Grippy Cloths! what a lifesaver.

Years ago.... years and years ago, I bought a Grippy Cloth and i cannot remember whether it was from Etsy or an Etsy Fair. I think a fair because I would have just seen it and loved the idea.
Anyway, I used it alot when i was quite unwell after having my daughter. I was really weak and suffering from extreme fatigue and gripping heavy pots from the stove and holding the teapot became such a trial.
 FINALLY... this old cloth I have / had, began to disintegrate but it has really done me proud. So, for the start of 2022, I have tried to get lots of small jobs completed and making myself some new Grippy Cloths was one of them.

I am trying to "make do and mend" so i am buying very little in the way of new supplies. But I did invest in some new Grippy Material. It's really useful for lining drawers and cupboards. Or sticking to the underside of Mats. It's the sort of thing you might lay under a rug to stop the
 "Sliding Rug Olympics".... run... and ride that rug along the polished wool floor....
 (No?.. maybe just me and my family and my dogs then??)

Mostly I use mine daily for -
Holding the Hot n Heavy Teapot
Gripping heavy saucepan handles
Opening Jars
Carrying heavy bags as a reinforced handle grip
My dad also uses them to open tricky smaller items like pots and tools in his workshop. He is 74 and has a bit of 'claw hand' so gripping items can be super frustrating.

 Anything that is slippy or heavy really.
 As we age especially, small motor moves and grip strength can become very compromised - and having some of these around the home can feel just the same as having, say, a Hankerchief or tissue to hand. 
What I'm saying is, it's alot easier to make friends with a pretty cloth with than some alternatives IF you have an older family member who is resistant to the idea of any assistance.

Plastic Alternative HERE yes, they are cheap to buy but I don't want to. I want to make my own.
Supplies:
Grippy Cloth - HERE if you know of any independant retailer stocking this, please do let me know in the comments.
Fabric Scissors EXAMPLE
Scrap pieces of fabric or Fat Quarters you have to "bust your stash" (I am a fabric hoarder) this project is perfect for scrap squares or even quilting.
(PLEASE - if you are buying new fabric - go HERE these are just amazing. One of my favourite fabric shops online and look at these designs!!)
Spray Starch (optional but very advisable)
Iron (optional but easier with ironed fabric squares)
I steam iron the fabric (on the patterned side) first + the spray starch.
I cut MY grippy mesh in the most useful way that fit the dimensions. My grippy mesh is 12inches wide, so i cut it into 6inch squares. I hope you can see how that works with minimum wastage! There's no need to waste any of the grippy.
Then i cut approx. 9inch squares of fabric. The fabric is 9inches x 9inches and the Grippy mesh is 6inches x 6inches. The square sits neatly in the middle of the sqaure.

FOLD and iron over each side of the fabric so it nearly meets the square of mesh inside - but not quite.
See photo... or go see my Instagram (linked at the end)
I then turned each side over again on TOP of the mesh and i put that through the sewing machine. 
The grippy mesh is sandwiched inside the fabric sqaure and sealed tight with a zig zag stitch. So it is not going anywhere. I sealed all 4 sides exactly like that.. (refer back to top photos)

As a reminder ***
Do NOT iron the grippy mesh.
Do have a sharp needle and quality thread and remember that this will blunt your needle so, next time the machine is out, swap that needle again!
I should put this in some kind of list "stash busting your fabric stash" or something like that.
Very satisfying and i made wayyyy too many. I might sell some down at my local coffee morning. I will definately load up my family with some... including my Sister who is super tenacious but lacking a bit of arm strength :))) she'll LOVE me for that.
DO wash the fabric first to be extra brilliant... I didn't because I am just not a patient person like that. But washing the fabric first means you pre-shrink it and you might then be able to wash the cloths in the sink without more fabric shrinkage.
Thats it! I hope you make some and I hope they make you and your family, feel very smug about your life choices and kitchen skills.
INSTAGRAM - Find me here x

Comments