PomPom Making for Anxiety... watching a smaller world unfold.

PomPom Making is super satisfying.
It ticks many of the boxes I need in my life! 
I do a lot of physical activity. I am a fitness coach and I love to keep fit by walking, running, gyming, cycling! I need to feel I am alive in my body and to push it so it feels like I’m in the world. Maybe that makes no sense to some people? 
And I like to be busy. I like to be doing something... when I’m not doing anything.... 

But when I’m not exerting myself, I am the opposite, and I like to spend time quietly. I really enjoy my garden. I love reading. A good film in bed with a cuppa tea... and Crafting. Crafting / Art / Making has always been my safe and happy place. 
When I was younger - a child / teen - i was crazy about that small quiet space in which I could sit and make stuff. My mum and dad were pretty encouraging of this... so I was lucky! 
I struggled a lot with anxiety. Although - we didn’t know it then. It wasn’t a thing children had in the 1980s. We weren’t allowed neuro-divergence then. 
But fast forward, and I have an obsession with making fluffy colourful PomPoms.
They are quick and easy - which definitely appeals to the ADHD part of my neurology. I like to see a result quickly. It’s hugely calming not to have to wait for something to get finished. I want small items. Easily handled and easily made. 

But... OCD (hahahahha) one is never enough!! I want the next Pom, the next result, the next colour combination! 
The colours are all part of my obsession. I sleep at night and different colours lay together in my brain and I wake up excited at something new. It’s like an ITCH waiting until I can make the next thing. 
I’m sure that my love of gardening and nature, is part of this constant inspiration. How can it not be? 
The shapes inspire my earrings and the colours inspire collections. There is so much beauty and JOY in my garden. 

I know other people make PomPoms.... I love to sell all the kits and think about people making their own and getting all that enjoyment from it. They are so VERSATILE! 
I know other Artists and Crafters Retail their own PomPoms. And that’s fabulous. 
But my work is my work. 
I never look at what Other people make with their Poms. I don’t want to get drawn into some else’s way of doing things. 
Besides, my brain is busy enough with all my own chaos!! It doesn’t need anyone else ideas in amongst that lot. 
In the clutter and chaos of my brain... PomPom making creates space. It creates small pockets of time to relax and to release anxiety. 
For minutes / hours I don’t have to think, feel, worry, wonder, DO anything else. 
Just make the PomPom.
Just make the PomPom Kirsty.
Just breath. And make the PomPom.
My PomPoms. My way. In my own time.
Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom... 


Comments