Make your own PomPom Sliders OR "Pimp your Primark Sliders"

Nothing says Happy! Like the colour yellow and a plethora of PomPoms. 
You may be the type of person "Sliders are just for Summer" - no way! Sliders for the win all year round. 
Indoors, they make the perfect House Shoe / Slipper. Autumn... yes, add socks. YES! We are a Sliders and Socks household and we're proud about that. 
Here is how I made ... ok... upcycled or pimped! a pair of Primark Sliders.
They are  the BOMB. The Yarn Bomb. And they were super easy and quick to make. Promise you.

Firstly, I had this pair of yellow Sliders from Primark. I think they were £5 and the yellow drew me to them. BUT I was a bit silly and I spilled TEA on them, like, their first wear in the house. Gutted.
The top of the Slider is a sort of very tight elastic fabric so I was unable to clean them fully.
Like I said, in hindsight, not the best choice of House Shoe.

And THEN... I looked down at my feet and I knew... all they needed were POMPOMS *Inserts laughing face* of course! 
So I chose the pink size - from this kit, which is maybe a 35mm pompom frame.
For this pair I wanted to keep them in Spring / Fairground colours so I chose SEVEN yarns that complimented each other.

I measured up roughly, that each Slider could nestle 6 pompoms along the front.
So, I whipped up 12 PomPoms using mix n match combinations of the 7 yarn colours. Choose any colours that you think work well together. Could be your Rugby Team colours or an outfit match.
You could just use up the ends of yarn balls...
If you need to buy some new yarn... TAKE ME TO THE YARN SHOP (external shopping link)
I decided which Poms go on which Slider (they are not identical)

Then I glue GUNNED them! I was cautious - because I wanted to stretch fabric over the top, to expend and fir my high arch feet. So I didn't go too crazy with the glue. I was also worried I might feel the glue if it seeped in through the stretch fabric. Again, this didn't happen and the glue did not change the fit.
Win! 
I originally wanted to make a pair COVERED in Poms - super crazy covered (and I still might do that) BUT for the blog - safety first - If you cover the Sliders / Shoes in PomPoms, you run the risk of tripping over. Trust me! If you glue pompoms all down the sides too, they become pretty unwearable. And what's the point in that?
So caution won me over on the Slider final design.

Having said that... 6 PomPoms along the front, did not seem enough for Colour Happy me - and I popped a few extra, smaller fluffy poms, along the top. It gave them oooompppf / depth / squishiness and even more colour. Definitely a winning design decision. 
I have the smaller ones in the SHOP (unless they are sold out)
OF COURSE - had I really thought about this as a full project, I would have painted my toe nails before the photos (sorrrrry for those of you who hate feet. I love feet!) 
But loooook!? Are these not an awesome pair of Sliders? Do you not rejoice at these? I know you want to make a pair for yourself! 
They are pure happiness for your feet.
Complete joy and a really easy / pretty cheap Summer project for you or your Teen.

I remember one Summer. my bestie and I made Cardboard Shoes. And we wore them up to the Village Shop. They were WRECKED by the time we got there. And then Debbie stood in some Dog Poo on the way home and she didn't see the funny side. 
Those were the days.
Thank goodness the internet can now offer us alternatives to Cardboard Summer Shoes!!
My Etsy has all the POMPOM KITS - if you are an absolute beginner...
Or maybe you have all the Pom Making stuff already and you are ready to start!?
Find me on INSTAGRAM and tag me in your PomPom Sliders @pompluspom
Have Fun Gang xxx

Comments