Perfect PomPom Pumpkin 🎃 (or making PomPom Gourds)

I'm not going to lie to you here... this was (as many things are) a very happy accident...
I was experimenting with making some larger, fluffier PomPoms for a very special wreath I was designing (if you know - you know - what THAT special wreath was for)
Anyway, I had been playing with this LUSH burnt orange yarn I had actually ordered by mistake.
It's a great colour but not one I was going to be using in my Christmas Collection for this year.

When the final PomPom burst out of the frame - there it was. The most luscious pumpkin sat in front of me, begging for a little trim / a little flooooofing / and a stem. 

Let me tell you what I used, how I made it and how I finished it, because... details are everything!!
Ingredients:
* A large XL Clover PomPom Frame - SHOP HERE - if you don't have one.
(or, you can make your own out of cardboard circles and make it any size you want!)

* Fluffy Floofy Fat Yarn - SHOP HERE - if you don't have any. But there is still time to ask your friends / neighbours / thrift the Charity Shops to see if you can re-purpose.

* An interesting stick used as a stem... SHOP NATURE to find something. Get the children involved. Get your Elderly neighbour involved. I found my collection of perfect Gourd Stems, out walking my dog in the village.

* Glitter Spray optional but yes, I use spray glitter alot in my work HERE sell some for £6 so make sure you pop the lid on and keep it safe for a future project. I prefer this brand. Quality matters.

* I also added a little piece of spotty green Ribbon from my stash but, guess what... you can use some old parcel twine or packing hessian - I bet if you looked around there would be something rustic you could use?


This is super quick and easy... you can make a few from the one ball of yarn.
As soon as that fat PomPom pings off the frame... you can trim it too whatever shape you like.

TIP: The Stem is going to be poked into the middle of the PomPom, where all the pieces of yarn meet and are gathered tightly tied together. This is where there is a tight little space for you to push that stem down. (It shouldn't need any glue but you add a little if you think you want to)

With this in mind - you'll know which way UP your PomPom Pumpkin will stand and then you can trim it to a good shape. I made the bottom and top of mine a little 'flatter' to give a more Pumpkin shape.


I also sprayed some gold glitter spray - because THAT IS JUST WHO I AM - ok? :)))) I can't change how I feel about a little glitz n glamour...
So - you have the Stem in place?
You have the Floof trimmed a little?
You have a little ribbon or twine if you fancy?
You maybe used a little spray glitter?
Do you love it? You can experiment with a few more!
Pop over to my INSTAGRAM where these PomPom Pumpkins will be making a few appearances.
I will have an IGTV up to show you in more detail and I might be making these at a little workshop I'm doing TBC. Stay Tuned etc....


External Links... Do you crochet? Because PIGEONS NEST has just launched the most lovely pumpkin pattern HERE and you'll love it. Crochet + PomPoms... we are really spoiling you. 

Comments