Making a fluffy snood / upcycling a gorgeous neon scarf.

A simple yet, incredibly satisfying, craft project to start the New Year.
I have had this neon yellow scarf for a while. I love the colour and i especially love the feel. It is a bright neon which goes great with my skin tone and my style and my love of happy colours.
The fabric is a sort of felted, very tight machine knit. so it does not fray or unravel when cut.

BUT I tend to wear snoods more than scarves.
I wear snoods in my house if it's cold. I wear them walking (I walk alot) and I wear them cycling (I cycle quite a bit too) I wear them because they are super warm and feel snuggly.
And then comes my second BUT - the caveat! My snood has to be perfect for me to wear it.
I have bought so many where the fabric is just a little irritating. 
I have a Cashmere snood in a caramel colour that my dad got me one Christmas. I wear it loads but, it is a little bit too loose. 
I have a knitted one with a bit of stretch that I wear lots, because it is perfect. 
So I am going to emulate that snood and try and make my own that fits super well and is as snuggly as a sleepy 3year old in fleecy pyjamas.
I chopped off a length that pretty much fit ok around my neck... a little 'extra' just incase i made a mistake and to allow me to sew it together. Don't forget - this has to pull over your head first! *your head is bigger than your neck! hahaha, take note.
To make sure it's thick I doubled it over and stitched down the LONGEST side. This makes the fabric super thick and makes the DEPTH pretty perfect. I then turned it inside out, so the stitches are inside to tube.
Once i had sewn along the longest edge - i made it into the circle "infinity scarf". As you can see, my stitching wasn't perfect but good enough. I did a type of small tight blanket stitch to make sure it was really secure. I used some old white embroidery thread to sew with. I could have bought a really nice yellow wool thread to sew this but that's not in the spirit of my 2022 resolution to "use what I have to make what i want" and besides, once it has been turned inside out, it isn't noticeable.
And then there is the perennial fact that... I am impatient and  wanted to do this right here and now.
I decided to keep and use one of the tassel ends of the scarf. It gives it a bit of extra style I feel. It made the finish look a little different and I am not a person who wants to look like other people. I enjoy oddity and the unusual. But, if i make any more, I might not use the tassels... ahhhh the joy of SELF MADE! the choices / the rebellion!!
If you look back at the photo with my blue jumper on, you can see how close this snood fits around my neck. Not loose at all. That's how i like the fit. I can only just get it over my neck. Because once you sew it, the natural give and springiness of this lush fabric, is compromised.
I even have enough to make another snood... A standard lengtth scarf is plenty enough to make 2 scarves.
I am going ski-ing (and other Winter activities)  and i can't wait to have a few of these made up in different colours for that.
I also have some Winter cycling to do ... bbbrrrrr... these snoods are ideal for cosiness... sinking my head inside like a hermit in it's shell. 
I hope I have given you inspiration to upcyle a scarf into a snood?
I am scouring the charity shops for another great colour / pattern in the same super fluffy / felted fabric.
Also VINTED or DEPOP have loads of great finds...
tag me on INSTA if you make one. I love to connect with you
Kirsty xxx

Comments